Fans Call For Inclusion Of Home-based Players In Super Eagles

Nigerian soccer fans in Enugu State have called for the inclusion of home-based players in the Super Eagles’ squad. The fans made the call in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Enugu.

A sports writer, Ignatius Okpara, decried the lack of commitment on the part of players of the National team  during their first match against equatorial Guinea.

He described their performance as “very annoying and an embarrassment.”

“Honestly I don’t have hope in the Super Eagles because I don’t want to get hypertension.

“The boys played like the big men which they are. They were not ready to commit themselves in order not to get injured and be benched by their clubs, “he said.

Okpara suggested the inclusion of the home-based players to stabilise the team.

RELATED


“We have many good players at home; the NFF should impress on the Coach to invite some of them to camp with the foreign based players.

“A proper blending of the home and foreign-based players can give Nigeria a formidable team, ” he said.

On his part, Esomchi Nwobodo, said the present crop of players in the Super Eagles cannot win the current AFCON in Cote d`s Ivoire.

“I don’t have that confidence in the Coach and his ability to take the team to the next level.

“It will be a miracle to me if they qualify for the group stage,” he said.

In the same vein, Ikechukwu Ogbuagu said the present Super Eagles had little or nothing to offer in the ongoing AFCON.

“There is no creativity, no cohesion, no aggression; so, my brother, we have nothing to offer.

“Some home-based players can do far better than this crop of  players, for me I have no confidence in the coach and the players, ” he said.

The Nigerian team currently trails the host nation with one point, same with Equatorial Guinea (NAN)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Benzema Mulls Saudi Arabia Exit

Sun Feb 25 , 2024
Karim Benzema is exploring his options in the January transfer window after six underwhelming months at Saudi Pro League club Al Ittihad, sources have told ESPN. The 36-year-old striker is not happy with how his stint in Saudi Arabia is panning out so far, despite the 2022 Ballon d’Or winner […]

You May Like

Share via
Copy link