Tributes have continued to pour in from across the Nigerian boxing community following the tragic death of former National and West African light-heavyweight champion, Segun ‘Success’ Olanrewaju, who collapsed during a boxing match in Ghana on Saturday, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.
Nigeria Boxing Board of Control Chairman, Dr. Rafiu Ladipo, expressed his condolences saying, “It is unfortunate we had to lose him, and may his soul rest in peace.
“We are alive to our responsibilities concerning this tragic incident, and we will do all in our power to ensure all hidden facts about this death in the ring are unveiled and unravelled.
Ladipo added that the NBBofC met with the family in Ogun State on Monday for commiseration – a wife and three children survive Olanrewaju.
NBBofC secretary general Remi Aboderin, who was part of the visit to the late boxer’s family, added, “Our deepest condolences to the family of the fallen “Ring Soldier” Oluwasegun “Success” Olanrewaju, may his amiable soul rest in perfect peace.”
Nigeria Boxing Federation interim president, Azania Omo-Agege, also expressed his sadness at the passing of Olanrewaju.
“It’s unfortunate this occurred, he’s a professional boxer, but that doesn’t take away the fact that he’s a Nigerian and one of us,” Omo-Agege said.
“When you look at the video you can see it is stress-related. He didn’t take a punch when he collapsed so you could tell that it has to do with his cardio which comes from a heart attack. We have to look for ways to prevent this and may his soul rest in peace.”
Nigeria boxing coach Tony Konyegwachie offered his sympathies, saying, “This is sad. May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace.”
Former Nigerian boxer, Ikechukwu Okoronkwo, was shocked after learning of Olanrewaju’s death.
“Oh my God, very sad. This looks like a heart attack, like a cardiac arrest. My condolences to all concerned and the family. May his soul rest in peace,” he said.
Boxing promoter Saleh Fawaz was speechless when he got the news.
“(I was) speechless. This news hit hard as in very hard. May his soul rest in peace and may God give his loved ones every strength they need during this terrible period. Rest in peace Champ,” he said.
The 40-year-old Nigerian boxer lost consciousness while facing Ghanaian boxer Jon Mbanugu at Fight Night 15 of the Ghana Professional Boxing League at Bukom Boxing Arena in Accra on Saturday, March 29, 2025.
Olanrewaju had an extensive boxing career of 24 professional fights with 13 wins, nine losses, and two draws.
Olanrewaju made his professional debut in 2019, winning his first fight against Jimoh Najeem on July 30. He went on to win two subsequent bouts before suffering his first career loss. However, he had been struggling in recent years, suffering four consecutive losses before his tragic death. His most recent fight was on December 24, 2024, when he was defeated by UBO champion Idowu Rasheed at the Campos Mini Stadium in Lagos.